DIY Loofah Soaps with Essential Oils
Here’s how to craft your own DIY loofah soaps with essential oils—soft skin is only a few ingredients away!
Yield: About 15 soaps
3 natural loofah sponges about 5-6 inches long each
2 pounds clear glycerin soap
Essential oils—see our suggestions below
Round silicone molds about 3 inches in diameter
1. Cut the loofah sponge into 1-inch-wide disks and place in the mold, lying flat.
2. Cut the glycerin soap into about 1-ounce squares. Put 2 squares in a microwavable bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds or until melted.
3. Add 3-4 drops of your favorite essential oil to the melted glycerin soap. Mix well.
4. Pour the glycerin soap mixture into the mold, fully covering the loofah sponge.
5. Repeat until all the loofahs are covered with glycerin soap. Let them dry for 2-3 hours, pop the soaps out of the mold, and lather up!
Fun fact about loofahs
Wondering why we can use the term “all-natural” when talking about these exfoliation masters? It’s because they grow on vines! Loofahs, or luffas, are the product of the fully ripened fruit of the L. aegyptiaca or L. acutangula trees—a loofah a day keeps the dry skin away!
Sudsy scents we love
Each DIY loofah soap calls for 3-4 drops of essential oil, so keep the blends simple. You can also scent your soaps with just one essential oil for a nice concentration of your favorite smell. If you like to mix and match oils, here are a few ideas:
Relaxing retreat: Peace & Calming with Copaiba
Floral foam: Lavender with Geranium
Calming cleanse: Patchouli with Cardamom
Masculine mood: Shutran with Northern Lights Black Spruce
Citrus suds: Tangerine with Grapefruit
Woodsy wash: Pine with Cedarwood